Saturday, March 17, 2007

Descendants of Depression


There is a stream of thought that says we can inherit depression. Our ancestors may have suffered in the same way that we are suffering today. If we can inherit eye colour, artistic talent, or a sad shaped mouth, why can't we inherit depression too?

I'm starting to get the muppet mouth of my Irish ancestors.
A horizontal line of a mouth that stretches ear to ear.

At times, I hold my mouth closed without lips, excentuating the line.
Then I catch myself doing it; in the morning showering half awake,
or at work, while thinking hard, or while reading or writing The Crux.

Once when I hadn't seen dad in a long time. I gave him the grade school photo where I looked pretty. He said, "nice lips."

I saw the muppet mouth on Nana and Bumby's faces in their caskets. Maybe this is the what they call "The Irish Poor Mouth."

1 comment:

Rosalind said...

i think depression could be inherited... only thing is, you never know when its going to sneak up on you. every day fails, utterly, to measure up to expectation!

thank you for your comment on my blog by the way!!! I was utterly bored in a lecture about travel writing a few weeks ago and ended up writing stream of consciousness.


I'm training to be a journalist so like writing, but have never been great at creative writing. Since my depression, anxiety and insomnia started to get worse this year though, i've been writing a lot more creatively. I think its quite cathartic...?

Rosalind
(http://rosalindmash.blogspot.com)