Saturday, March 31, 2007

England Comes to Canada



Lee Baker represented the English side of the family by visiting us this weekend.

He was in Detroit for Wrestlemania 23 and skipped across the border Friday night to meet up with us. With my connections to local media, an arrangement was made for interviews with the Windsor Star newspaper and AM800 Radio. They couldn't believe he came all the way from the UK for Wrestlemania; Lee was a smooooooth interview.

Lee's great-great-grandmother Sarah Ann JARVIS and my great-great-grandfather Harry JARVIS were brother and sister. Lee's mom Dawn and I have traced the JARVIS's back to the 1600's in the Leicester area.

Harry and his wife and his ten children, (most adults at the time) immigrated to Canada. Sister Sarah Ann stayed at home, where war broke out a year after Harry's leaving.



Harry JARVIS was a shoemaker in Lesicester England (is this where I get my shoe obsession)? In fact, there is a school in Leicester that still teaches shoemaking. Would love to do the workshop. Look out Lee, I'm coming to visit you!

We had a good time. Went out for dinner with the family and then Lee, Frank, my sister and I did a bit of bar hopping. I really like him. He has a wonderful dry sense of humour and tells a great story. He is an amazing writer and knows the proper way to perform a "pile driver".

I hope we see him again... soon.

No comments: